Experienced, financially astute, results driven, Managing Director with International Sales Director background. An asset to any company looking to grow; 25 year successful career.
Entrepreneurial, pro-active - strong drive, charismatic leader with a keen business mind that distributors, sales teams and managers respond to. I identify and develop opportunities through innovative good strategic appreciation and vision, based on factual research. A people manger who takes responsibility for developing business and people within the business. A manager that makes things happen.
Multilingual :- English and Spanish, based in the UK. Willing to relocate to where it would be most advantageous for the business.
Company - BIAS
Position - Managing Director.
Duration - 8 years, to date
Engineering supplies, industrial exports. Complete turnkey supplies principally to the Oil and Gas industry. Scientific equipment, chemicals, consumables to industry, education and healthcare in the UK.
UK T/O £1.1M, Export T/O €3.4M through strategic partnership. 50% shareholder.
- Turned the company from a loss maker to profit by; effective cost management, focused profitable markets, customer orientated solutions with added value services. Developed relationships in key accounts, removed the emphasis of selling by price by providing choice. Margins increased from 18 to 27% Sales from £430K to £1.1M
- Strategic plan implemented for profitability and growth through focused markets; life sciences, NHS, food, industrial and environmental services using the industrial technical knowledge of the sales force, created credibility by consultancy selling techniques. Increased sales in excess of 100%, 3 year period.
- Turn Key supplier for large projects in Libya and Iraq, engineering supplies and chemicals for oil and gas and refineries. Top 3 supplier to the largest oil company in Libya.
- Brokered large contracts for Iraq ($28M) using; strategic alliance of Chinese manufacture, UK QC credibility and Middle East finance. Other brokered projects; Pump supplies and equipment for refilling plant $8m, Gas turbine spares $4.5M
Company - ElectroScience UK
Position - Owner
Duration - 5 Years
Following a buyout of Electrothemal by Barnstead Thermolyne, started ElectroScience UK using OEM agreements that would no longer continue with Electrothemal. Sourced products for Middle East company. Consultant for GRUFAC, the manufacturers association of Spain. Distributor support and development of new products for J.P. Selecta; scientific, hospital equipment, sterilisation, blood banks and consumables.
- Achieved $7.2Million of sales. Unfortunately the Iraq war and the Oil for food program terminated, embargos made it difficult to trade.
- In the event of adversity re-focused the company; Middle East pharmaceutical, Healthcare and Cosmetic manufacturing industry.
- A contributing factor to J.P. Selecta success; with a focused plan of product development (Customer Focused), trained distributors on new products, Selecta business grew from €18M to €30M over a 5 year period.
- Awarded dealer of the year, 2 consecutive years (138 distributors)
Company - Electrothermal Engineering Ltd ( Manufacturing company)
Position - Director, Sales and Marketing
Duration - 2.5 years
Sales and Marketing responsibilities: re-direct the company with a 3-year strategic plan with a buyout exit strategy. Implement major change of attitude within the company to one of can do. Manage 10 personnel, internal and external sales, 48 Distributors, including a US subsidiary. Heating devices manufacturer. Reported to MD and Chairman.
- Identify the KPI’s for Electrothermal and formed strategic alliances to strengthen the product range through OEM manufacturing.
- Changed the brand image to become a “new century” company. Built on the name and reputation of the company to regain the distribution networks confidence and attract buyers.
- Focused the distributors on; benefits of the products for feature and benefit selling, brand recognition associated with quality, reliability and value. Increase exports sales by 12%.
- Reduced company expenditure by 17% to bring the company in line with budgets and objectives.
- Without loss of business, implement effective communication systems to improve manufacturing, forecasting, sales administration and delivery by rationalising the product range.
- Developed and launched three new products; Heating RAK for military use, Melting point, stirring hot blocks, redesign and update older model heating mantle for OEM US market, (VWR and Fisher).
- Increased profitability, laboratory sector by 27%, military by 57%.
- Company taken from near bankruptcy to be sold to a major American group making £3M+ profits for the shareholders. Now part of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Company - GBC Scientific Australia (Manufacturing Company)
Position - European General Manager / MD, GBC UK
Duration - 2.5 years (Contract), 5 years (Direct Reports UK)
Analytical products; AA, ICP, HPLC and UVVIS for Europe and the UK. Main objective; reverse the decline in European market share and make Europe profitable. Identify KPI for the business. Implement marketing sales strategy plan of consolidate the business, make changes with the objective of continuous profitable growth. Launch new products in Europe. Reported to Managing Director GBC Australia.
- Business increased, with 60% of dealers showing growth in excess of 50% within two years.
- Decisive decision making; European office taken from loss to profit, Australian personnel used for specialist functions; non performing distributors cut; new distributors appointed; reduced expenditure.
- Implemented champion customers across Europe to gain credibility and references.
- An OEM sales strategy was very successful. Implemented for a floundering HPLC product line.
- Wrote and implemented a motivational re-training program, Implemented throughout GBC.
- GBC Europe contributed 30% to the total GBC turnover, up from 12%. European sales increased from 2.7 M$ to 5.3M$ in a two year period.
Company - Lachat Instruments Milwaukee (Manufacturing Company). USA
Position - European Sales Manager promoted to International Manager.
Duration - 3 years
Set up a European office from scratch to provide distributors technical and sales support. Flow injection analytical equipment, high volume water analysis. Manage a network of 32 distributors and make changes where necessary to achieve the sales and marketing goals. Manage 3 personnel. Reported to Managing Director USA.
- The business grew from 600K$ to 1.0$ Million in less than 12 months. The second year growth from $1.0 to $1.6 million, year 3 $2.1M. The total FIA international market in the environmental sector was 6 million dollars, achieved in obtaining 26.7% of this market, an increase of 60%
Company - V.A. Howe Ltd.
Position - Territory
Salesman promoted to National Sales Manager
Duration - 7 years
Manage and motivate a division of 7 direct sales people, 2 customer service, 3 product specialists and administration. Responsibilities: Marketing promotion and strategic planning, motivation and training, achieve targets. Shimadzu, Hamilton and Sigma Christ agencies. Growth of sales for all agencies resulted in all companies becoming independent UK companies. Reported to Sales and Marketing Director.
- The most successful markets for the above were: Clinical research, Pharmaceuticals, Education, Life sciences and Biotechnology markets.
- Compile and implement training programs for sales, telesales and non sales personnel.
- Achievements: Salesperson of the year, out of 21 sales people.
Company - Core Laboratories Inc, Dallas – London - Aberdeen
Position - Section Supervisor Petrology Manager
Duration - 4 years
Set up from scratch a commercial service for Petrology and associated studies for the oil industry. Including SEM, EDX, XRF services. Administrate, budget control, sell the service and achieve targets. Organise seminars and promote throughout Europe the services of the company. Supervise 8 personnel for the above projects. The Petrology division is now one of the most profitable divisions of Core Laboratories. Reported to VP Core lab UK.
Company - INTEVEP, Caracas, Venezuela
Position - Laboratory Supervisor
Duration - 4 years
Services provided for SEM, EDX, XRD, XRF, NMR and Mass spec. Oil and gas company services. Set up from scratch.
- Ministerio de Energia Minas y Hydrocarburos Caracas Venezuela 6 years Chief technician.
- Set-up and train personnel in Electron Microscopy analysis laboratory, services provided to mining exploration in Venezuela.
Company - Aberdeen University, Scotland
Position - Technician
Duration - 5 years
Operation and service of Electron Microscope, Electron Microprobe, X-ray diffraction and X-ray Fluorescence instruments. Training of students and involved in research projects related to Geology, Mineralogy and Sedimentology. Claim to fame, analysed lunar rock.